Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Hook & Ladder, adjacent to L & N Depot, on Main Street. The Central Fire Station construction was begun 04/20/1937 with an expected cost of about $10,000. The formal opening of the new fire station was July 1 when the old Hook and Ladder Company hall was vacated with the final departure of a parade of equipment and personnel to the new station on Main Street.
The new station was 46 x 71 feet, of brick construction in the Mission style architecture. It contained a 40 x 46 apparatus room with sleeping quarters 14 x 31.6 feet, adjacent bath rooms with showers, and individual steel lockers. Other features included a control room, office, chief’s bedroom and bath room, wash room, kitchen and a work room. A second floor contained recreation rooms. John T. Collins was the architect.
Biloxi WPA Work Well Under Way. (Dec 6, 1935). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
New Stations for Fire Department. (Dec 29, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 2.
Outline Biloxi WPA Program. (Dec 31, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1, 7.
Work Begins on New Fire Station. (Apr 20, 1937). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
Plans for New Fire Station: Parade from Old to New Fire Station is Set for Tomorrow Night. ( June 30, 1937). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
Efficient City Commission in Office: Here are Some Facts of WPA Projects Secured for Biloxi. (June 29, 1938). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 7.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 9, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE