Centennial Building – Port St. Joe FL

Description

The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Centennial Building in Port St. Joe FL.

Past Use: Auditorium/Gymnasium. Present Use: Civic Center.

The 1996 National Register documentation notes that the Centennial Building has been the site of centennial celebration of the signing of Florida’s first constitution, which
ran from December 7th to December 10th, 1938. The building was
dedicated on December 7, 1938. It was also used for other political events and civic functions. Also fund raising events, such as the Fireman’s Ball and the March of Dimes
President’s Ball, have been held in the building. It has sometimes
been used for community Fourth of July and New Years balls, high
school proms, basketball games, as an official polling place, and
as a National Guard Armory.

According to National Register documentation, “The Centennial Building, at 300 Alien Memorial Way in Port St. Joe, Florida, was constructed in 1938 with Works Progress
Administration (WPA) funds. The simple, rectangular building has
Art Deco stylistic elements. The masonry structure is covered
with stucco and rests on a concrete foundation. Decorative air
vents to the crawl space are visible along the foundation. The
flat roof is surfaced with built-up roofing material.
The Centennial Building was typical of the kinds of PWA funded projects awarded to cities, counties, and states. The Centennial Building was one of 707
auditorium/gymnasium PWA projects across the country.”

“In 1937 […] Senators Claude Pepper and Charles Andrews, and Congressman
MiHard Caldwell had worked diligently in securing approval of a
WPA project to build a civic center in Port St. Joe. In June
1938, WPA Project No. 20759 was approved and the city of Port St.
Joe received a matching grant of over $35,000 to construct the
Centennial Building.

The building was completed in time for the centennial
celebration of the signing of Florida’s first constitution, which
ran from December 7th to December 10th, 1938. The building was
dedicated on December 7, 1938.”

The structure is adjacent to the Constitution Convention Museum State Park.

Source notes

National Register of Historic Places , (https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/96000230_text), accessed September 2021.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Building) accessed September 2021.

(https://maps.roadtrippers.com/places/4332441/photos) accessed September 2021.

Email communication from John Turner, FL DEP Florida Park Service, Bureau of Natural and Cultural Resources Archivist ([email protected]).

Project originally submitted by Kathleen Pagan on September 12, 2021.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


300 Alien Memorial Way
Port St. Joe, FL 32456

Coordinates: 29.79207, -85.29758

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.