Villisca Cemetery Stone Entrance
A local newspaper from 1939 explains that, “The cemetery improvement work started on August 28, 1938, with provision of rebuilding some 500 feet of rock walls and rock masonary entrance portals; laying 1000 feet of water mains; sodding and landscaping two acres of the area. Thirteen WPA workmen are currently employed, one of whom is a non-certitified foreman. Expenditures so far total $3,248 in federal funds and $355 in city funds.”
The WPA also built the town’s swimming pool, and it is documented that the WPA demolished an old hotel building and was to use the recycled lumber to build a chapel in the city cemetery (which did not happen, perhaps due to the interruption of WWII).
Local knowledge. Villisca Review, March 16, 1939.
Project originally submitted by Linda Weinstein on May 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE