Main entrance to cemetery - Cottonwood AZ
From its origins in the 19th century, the cemetery in Cottonwood AZ was privately owned and run. A local committee was formed in 1937-38 to maintain the cemetery and it immediately sought federal aid from the New Deal. Help came from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which fenced the entire site. We have no found a definite date for when the work was done.
Notably, the WPA relief workers built a 4-5′ stone wall along the front of the property and two entrance gates. The main entrance is notable for its a metal arch reading “Cottonwood Cemetery”.
The wall, gates and archway are all still intact today (2022). The cemetery was turned over to the city in the 1970s.
City of Cottonwood Cemetery Guide, http://cottonwoodaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/152/Cemetery-Guide-and-History-PDF?bidId=
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 1, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE