Cecilton Elementary School
Contracts for the construction of two high schools in Cecil County (Cecilton and Chesapeake City) were awarded to the Lang Brothers of Baltimore by the PWA in December 1938. The $136,190 contract for the Cecilton high school called for “a two-story and part basement semi-fire proof, consolidated school building to accommodate 450 pupils.”
According to The Cecil Democrat, the contract called for “modern heating, plumbing, and electrical work.” The facilities were as follows:
Basement: A cafeteria, kitchen, boiler room, fuel storage room, and [general] storage room.
First floor: Six classrooms, a teacher room, an auditorium with stage and dressing rooms, and bathrooms.
Second floor: Five classrooms, a home economics room, the principal’s office, and bathrooms.
Cecilton High School became the Cecilton Elementary School in September 1958 upon the opening of — and the transfer of Cecilton high school students to — the Bohemia Manor High School.
Source: The Cecil Democrat, Elkton, Maryland. Saturday, December 31, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 1, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE