Elementary school built in 1935 with funding from the Public Works Administration and Proximity Manufacturing Company for the White Oak New Town mill village community founded by the Cone Mills Corporation, then among the largest denim manufacturers in the world. Still in use as an elementary school today.
National Register of Historic Places, Historic Structures Survey Report, April 15, 2019, pp. 28-32 (https://files.nc.gov/ncdcr/historic-preservation-office/PDFs/ER_19-0982.pdf), accessed May 2020.
Project originally submitted by John Stehlin on May 17, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE