Scene from Camp WhiteHistorical Museum of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Shenipsit State Forest: exhibit information
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp White, which housed Company #106 at American Legion State Forest in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, operated from Dec. 28, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1942.
This camp was named for Alan C. White, who was a leader in the campaign to purchase the land that would become Peoples State Forest. The original site of Camp White is now used as a youth group camping area and the building site and camp roads are still visible. The camp had a tree nursery and built the Stone Museum as a natural interpretive center. The museum, nursery building, and camp office are still in use today. The “CCC Boys” in the camp:
- completed 8 miles of truck trails
- constructed an administration building
- repaired three historic homes
- developed a reecreation area
- participated in gypsy moth removal
- created and maintained a tree nursery
- built the Stone Museum Nature Center
Furthermore, “[t]hey made many trails, including a nature trail from Matthies Camp Ground through Ullman picnic area and a one-mile foot trail from Camp White to Tremendous Cliff in American Legion Forest.”
Historical Museum of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Shenipsit State Forest: exhibit information
CCC Legacy Journal: Volume 39, Issue 2 (pg. 10)
(accessed Feb. 2018)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 20, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE