Aerial of Fort Barry in 1928, with future site of the CCC camp in the distance - Sausalito CA
A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established west of the Baker-Barry tunnel on the Marin Headlands, probably in 1934. The camp consisted of twelve barracks, a mess hall, two shower and toilet buildings, three storage sheds, a cold storage house, and an open garage.
Enrollees built the Baker-Barry Tunnel, a single-lane through the Marin Headlands, in 1935.
The CCC camp was closed and turned over to the U.S. Army Ninth Corps in 1936, and used as temporary housing for troops practicing at the Fort Barry rifle range. =
As far as we know, nothing of this CCC camp remains today. The site is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Erwin Thompson, Historic Resource Study - Forts Baker, Barry, and Cronkhite of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area California. National Park Service, Denver Service Center (Denver CO), November 1979. p 29. http://npshistory.com/publications/goga/hrs-forts-baker-barry-cronkhite.pdf
Project originally submitted by Peter Tannen on June 21, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE