CCC Company 3342, c. 1936 - Petrified Forest National Park A
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) first arrived in Petrified Forest National Monument in 1933, setting up camp at Rio Puerco. There seems to have been a pause before a new company arrived in 1936 and another in 1938. The camp numbers were PNM-1 and 2 and one of the companies was #3342.
During their time in the Petrified Forest, the CCC enrollees built the Painted Desert Inn, two groups of ranger residences, the trail system, and a water pipeline, as well as paving and improving the park’s roads.
Petrified Forest became a National Park in 1962.
History panels on the CCC in Petrified Forest at the Painted Desert Inn.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on April 30, 2022.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE