A commemorative marker erected in 1984 reads:
“Created by President Franklin Roosevelt and approved by an Act of Congress in 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided youth employment programs during the Great Depression. The Lufkin CCC Camp, located near this site from 1933 until 1942, was administered by the Texas Forest Service. Young men helped to build roads and bridges, string telephone lines, and plant trees. The Lufkin CCC Camp proved to be instrumental in relieving unemployment but also helped revive the East Texas forest industry through its use of progressive forestry techniques.”
Texas Historical Commission Atlas: https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/viewform.asp?atlas_num=5005008710&site_name=Lufkin%20CCC%20Camp&class=5000
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on January 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE