Rye Patch Reservoir, NevadaNASA satellite image of Rye Patch Reservoir
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp near Lovelock NV during the 1930s, officially BR-36, popularly called Camp Lovelock or sometimes Camp Pershing. It was located near the main road north of town (along what is now Interstate 80). No trace of it remains today.
CCC enrollees helped with improvements to the Humboldt River Project of the Bureau of Reclamation and the irrigation system of the Lovelock Valley (then private, but today part of the Pershing County Water Conservation District). They worked on ancillary construction jobs during the final stage of construction of the Rye Patch Dam and Reservoir and they cleaned and improved canals, ditches and water control structures throughout the valley.
Other Camp Lovelock tasks included constructing a 1.25-mile telephone line from the Bell Telephone tie-in to the county government office.
Renee Corona Kolvet and Victoria Ford, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada: From Boys to Men. University of Nevada Press, 2006. Pgs. 77-78.
Renee Corona Kolvet, “Anatomy of a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp: Scenes from Northwestern Nevada” in We Can Take It: The Civilian Conservation Corps in the Land of the Lakes, The Shaw Historical Library, Oregon Institute of Technology, 2006.
Annual Project History, Humboldt Project, 1934, 1935, 1936
Project originally submitted by Renee Kolvet on June 10, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE