Camp ConnerHistorical Museum of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Shenipsit State Forest: exhibit information
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted substantial work at Shenipsit State Forest in northern Connecticut. Work was undertaken by Camp Conner, housing Company #1192, which operated from Sept. 5, 1935 to May 23, 1941.
The physical camp resided south of Chestnut Hill Rd., at Thomas Rd. The prime remnant of the camp is the former camp officer / officers’ office building, now the CCC Museum (which has its own page on our site). Additional structures that are still extant include the forest ranger’s house and garage, located just east of the CCC Museum, which were constructed “from wood salvaged after the Hurricane of 1938.”
The camp occupied what is still the largely open field area, south of the CCC Museum.
“Shenipsit State Forest,” Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, accessed August 13, 2014.
Personal visit by Evan Kalish, Aug. 2016.
Historical Museum of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Shenipsit State Forest: exhibit information
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 20, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE