Cave Spring School RestroomsSource: Nation Register of Historic Places (https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/12000416.pdf)
A 2012 Nation Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the restroom structures built by the Works Progress Administration circa 1935: “Behind the school, near the southwest and northwest corners of the property are two stone privies. Thought to have been constructed in the 1930s, possibly with funding from the Works Progress Administration, the two small buildings are identical in design. The small rectangular buildings are of rubble stone construction with a plain wood door centered in one long wall. The roof is side gable with wood shingles and exposed rafter tails.”
After a health department inspection, “The school’s trustees also apparently took the recommendation of the health department to apply for assistance from the Works Projects Administration (WPA) to construct new privies. According to the health department ‘At the present time this type [sanitary pit] of privy can be obtained for the cost of materials only. W.P.A. supplies all labor for construction and installation free of charge.’ The two stone privies behind the school are typical of WPA construction from the period.”
These privies are also contributing structures as part of the Cave Spring School and Cave Spring Cemetery Historic District and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Nation Register of Historic Places Registration Form, Cave Spring School, 2012: (https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/12000416.pdf), accessed February 16, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 17, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE