Castroville City Hall in 2013Photo courtesy of Larry Moore, May 3, 2013, CC BY-SA 4.0
The Works Progress Administration remodeled the Castroville School in 1939 under project number 665-66-2-541. The workmen added a two classroom wing on the northwest side of the building and a two classroom wing on the southeast side of the building. The wings were constructed using rock masonry with wood floors.
The State of Texas formed Medina County in 1848. The county erected the first permanent courthouse in Castroville in 1854. When the county seat moved to Hondo in 1892, the courthouse in Castroville was converted to a school. The building is currently the Castroville City Hall.
Period Photographs digitized by the Historic Sites and Structures Program, Texas State Parks (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department), (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/25656370313/), accessed March 18, 2018.
Handbook of Texas Online, Ruben E. Ochoa, "Medina County," (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcm10), accessed March 18, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 18, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE