cascade09Cascade Playground comfort station, 1938
During the 1930s, with the help of Works Progress Administration funds and labor, the Seattle Park Department made significant improvements to Cascade Playground. Among these improvements was the construction of a small brick comfort station in the northeast corner of the playground. The comfort station consisted of two structures, one on either side of the diagonal path leading into the playground, and included rooms for the playground caretaker, a playground instructor, and storage, as well as men’s and women’s restrooms. Work on the two structures began in 1937 and was completed in 1938. A plaque on the north side of comfort station reads: “Built by Works Progress Administration 1936-1937.” The dates on the plaque are incorrect, however, based on Park Board records from the period and other city records.
"Cascade Playground." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed February 26, 2017. http://clerk.seattle.gov/~F_archives/sherwood/CascadePG.pdf Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1937, 1938, 1939. "Summary for 333 Pontius AVE / Parcel ID 2467400335 / Inv # DPR014." Seattle Department of Neighborhoods. Accessed February 26, 2017. http://web6.seattle.gov/DPD/HistoricalSite/QueryResult.aspx?ID=587396278
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on March 6, 2017.