Old Carver High School Building 2019
Project type: Education and Health, Schools
Quality of Information: Very Good
Site Survival: ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
The Works Progress Administration completed George Washington Carver High School in 1941. The building was used by the African-American students in the Karnack school district. When schools were integrated, the building became George Washington Carver Elementary School. Karnack High School closed in 2016 due to low enrollment, and the elementary school students moved to the high school building. In 2019, the old Carver school building appeared to be unused.
Texas Works Progress Administration 1941 photo note card.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 19, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
This school, originally named Woodside School and listed as such in Fisk University’s Rosenwald School files, was one of the Rosenwald funded school projects of the 1920s. Renamed George Washington Carver school in the mid-late 1920s on honor of Mr Carver, the school was originally located directly across highway from its present site.