Carmel Forest Theater Under ConstructionPhoto shows WPA workers in front of the New Dressing rooms. - National Archives and Records Administration
The theater was established in 1910 and was deeded to Carmel in 1937. It is still an active theater. A 1940 WPA publication reports that:
"Probably the most noteworthy feature of the institution is the unmarred beauty of the glade in which the performances are given. In the reconstruction work by the Works Projects Administration of Northern California this beauty has been jealously guarded and every shrub and tree preserved."
The WPA renovated the theater, building a new surrounding wall, a reinforced concrete floor, a new theater and new dressing rooms.
William R. Lawson. "Achievements, Federal Works Agency. Work Projects Administration, Northern California." 1940: 89. http://www.foresttheaterguild.org/index.cfm/the_theater.htm
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE