Carmel by the Sea FirehousePhoto: Charles Swaney, Creative Commons
The Works Progress Administration built the Carmel Firehouse in 1936-1937. The stone-faced firehouse facade included muti-hued flat stones with 4 bays for firetrucks in the original building with a fifth truck bay added later. The second floor was accessed on the west side of the structure via a steep stairway, part of the original structure and included a fire pole from the second to the first floor. This is a volunteer fire department, which has served the city since 1915. A community/firehouse meeting space is on the second floor and there are sleeping quarters also on the second floor. Other projects mentioned below are in the large meeting space.
The architect of record was Milton Latham, supervised by Bernard Rountree.
Carmel Historic Survey,AP#10-133-6 Fire House City Owned.
File, City of Carmel Library Historical Collections including various newspaper articles and City records.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on July 1, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE