WPA inscriptionNorth end of wall, looking south along Carlton Ave.
“Stone retaining walls that line streets and highways throughout the region — along Route 611 in Easton, Spruce Street in Tamaqua and Carlton Avenue in Bethlehem — were WPA projects.”
This approximately 350-foot-long retaining wall begins on Carlton Avenue halfway between W 8th and W 9th Streets, then curves to the west on W 9th St. to Hess St. The wall is identified by an inscribed stone at its north end (on Carlton Ave.): “Erected by W. P. A. 1935”
http://articles.mcall.com/1999-06-27/news/3245291_1_wpa-monocacy-creek-monocacy-park (accessed Dec. 25, 2017)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE