View from Cape Sebastian State Scenic Corridor, looking south
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees began development of the 537-acre Cape Sebastian State Park as early as October 1934. The promontory, covered by spruce forest, offers striking views of the Pacific below. CCC workers developed the roads and trails necessary for the public’s access to those views. Parking areas, defined by low rock walls, in the northern and southern parts of the park complete access to the cape’s perspective.
As summarized by Portland’s newspaper, the Oregonian, in 1940: “A lofty promontory, which juts out into the Pacific Ocean; one of the most striking coastal features along the Coast Highway. Good roads here, trails for hikers, picnic nooks. No facilities.” The CCC undertook these early park developments that remain substantially the same.
The CCC enrollees resided in the park during their work on its development. The company at CCC Camp Cape Sebastian consisted almost entirely of enrollees from Illinois.
Armstrong, Chester H. (1965) History of the Oregon State Parks. Salem: Oregon State Parks Publication, p. 24, 103.
Cape Sebastian State Scenic Corridor, Oregon State Parks Website (viewed April 8, 2022): https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=52
"Honors Fall Fast on CCC Company on Oregon Coast," Oregonian. March 11, 1935. p. 12.
"Untold Beauty Offered by 60 State Parks in Oregon," Oregonian. May 24, 1940. p. 34.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 6, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE