Cape Arago ViewpointRock wall at the lookout point at Cape Arago.
Land for Cape Arago State Park was donated to Oregon State Parks in 1932 but lay undeveloped until Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees began improvements in 1934. Over a two-year period, they completed a considerable amount of work. As noted in a 1965 history of the Oregon State Parks, their tasks included: constructing roads, trails, fire breaks and fire hazard reduction, clearing a picnic area, setting up tables and stoves, constructing a water system and erecting a park foreman’s cottage.
A CCC camp operated at Cape Arago for the period of time required to provide basic amenities for day use at the new state park.
While maintenance over the years has required changes in the park, the layout of the park is substantially the same.
Armstrong, Chester H. (1965) History of the Oregon State Parks. Salem OR: Oregon State Parks Publication, pp. 99-100.
Cape Arago State Park, Oregon State Parks Website (Viewed April 8, 2022). Cape Arago State Park - Oregon State Parks
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE