Canal Street Post Office
The Canal Street Station post office in downtown Manhattan was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1937. It was designed by architect Alan Balch Mills. The two story building in the Moderne Style is clad in terra cotta panels, with a black base, buff walls and a silvery frieze along the top. A Treasury Section of Fine Arts-funded sculpture was installed in the post office lobby in 1938.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Building plaque and cornerstone. http://members.worldlibrary.net/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE