Location of Camp War (P-63)Map overlay processed by Ernest Everett Blevins. Historic Map Source: Library of Congress, 1940 Census Enumeration District Maps - West Virginia - McDowell County, (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5840990).
Located on private land about 5 miles east of War and on the edge of Cucumber (town, likely a coal camp at one point) in McDowell County along WV Route 16.
Occupied on 11 July 1935 with CCC Company 3538-C. The C at the end notes this was a colored CCC camp. McDowell county was a heavily black community noting several entries in the Negro Green Book for decades. This is the only black CCC Company to serve in West Virginia although they worked also at S-77 (Camp Carver/Panther State Forest) and S-76 (Camp Kanawha).
This camp worked on fire protection and forest fire fighting, construction and maintenance of truck trails, and maintenance of telephone lines.
Scheduled to be closed in 1 July 1941 the camp was operated until 8 November 1941 when the company was transferred to Camp Carver (S-77) at Panther State Forest.
Milton Harr, The C.C.C. Camps in West Virginia 1933-1942, p. 21
USGS War Quad 1967
1940 Census Enumeration District Maps - West Virginia - McDowell County - ED 24-1 - ED 24-60 (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5840990), accessed February 14, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on February 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE