CCC Camp SistersHistorical Marker posted at Camp Sherman, Oregon.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Sisters (F-110, Company #1454) at Camp Sherman, Oregon operated near the headwaters of the Metolius River in Jefferson County from 1933 to 1942. It was just one of the average 60 CCC camps that worked each year in the state during that period. Originally planned to be near Sisters, Oregon rather than at the unincorporated Camp Sherman site, its name tends to confuse Oregonians. The CCC, however, found this position on the Metolius more in keeping with project needs so located it where the (Camp Sherman) Riverside Campground is found today.
The CCC men constructed many of the facilities found along the upper Metolius River today, including tables, pine benches and picnic shelters (specifically the Camp Sherman, Pine Rest and Pioneer Ford shelters). They also built the trails along both sides of the river. In 1936, they also built the Suttle Lake-Camp Sherman road.
According to a plaque placed in 2004, the CCC workers “completed conservation projects, fought fires and removed beetle-killed trees. In the process they developed self-confidence, new skills and provided income for their families.”
Deschutes National Forest sign. Erected in 2004 by the National Association of CCC Alumni Chapter 4. Metolius Recreation Association, Camp Sherman Oregon. http://www.metoliusriver.org/bridge.html Plaque near Camp Sherman, Oregon. (Photo submitted.) Additional information submitted by Vicki Dunaway in October 2015.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 3, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE