Camp Mill Creek
Located on the western edge of the Ochocho National Forest, approximately twenty miles from Prineville, Oregon, Camp Mill Creek served as a major Civilian Conservation Corps worksite from 1933 to 1942. The entrance to the camp’s location is marked in honor of the hundreds of young men who worked on projects in this national forest.
As described on the roadside plaque: “The young men of Camp Mill Creek did reforestation work, fought forest fires and constructed and maintained roads, trails, telephone lines and campgrounds.” CCC workers, under the supervision of the US Forest Service, are credited with constructing several buildings located at the nearby Ochoco Ranger Station as well.
The companies associated with this worksite include #1648 (primarily from the Chicago area), #263 and #6417.
Evidence of the CCC camp is limited to a few concrete foundations for camp buildings and the roadway into the site.
"More CCC Camps Slated in State," Oregonian. April 24, 1935. p. 9.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 22, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE