Construction on Camp Lassen’s Chico main lodge was begun in September 1935 with funds from the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) and completed the following spring. The Chico Meadows site was cleared from forest lands originally leased from the Diamond Match Association by the Mount Lassen Area Council (now the Golden Empire Council) of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The building contains a complete kitchen and dining hall, a stage for performances, administrative offices, and living quarters for the camp director and camp caretaker. While the space was originally built for the use of BSA troops, the camp was opened for two weeks each summer for “Every Girl’s Camp” from 1935-1950. The camp is still in operation, with open programming each summer.
The Camp Lassen Alumni Association maintains a page with excellent resources about the history and construction of the site, including original WPA construction reports: http://www.camplassen.com/history/construction.
“Accomplishments of the Works Progress Administration – Northern California (1935-1938).” Works Progress Administration, San Francisco, CA, 1938. http://www.camplassen.com/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE