Camp Lucretia furniture with two enrollesDescribed by the late Dr. William "Bill' Mitchell as two enrollees with a sample of the furniture. Behind them is the chimeny (now only the foundation remains) of the recreation hall.
Located on the original Bankhead Highway, also known as the Villa Rica-Carrollton Road (1917 route) the Williams Family farm is southwest of Villa Rica, Georgia. The farmhouse was built in 1891 and the farm remained in business in the Great Depression. In the 1930s, Felix Williams with the assistance of the Carroll County Commissioner went to Washington, DC to lobby for a CCC camp on the farm. Their efforts were award a camp on 18 August1935. A portion of the farm was leased to the CCC. In 1936 the CCC built a road from the Carrollton-Villa Rica Road to the CCC Camp. Construction began in 1937 and completed by that fall. In addition to pay the CCC was supplied milk and dairy products from the camp. Camp Lacretia camp number 3437 and classified as a SCS-4 (soil conservation). Camp Lacretia was named after the wife of the commander at Fort McPhearson in Atlanta. Division B, CCC Headquarters was at Fort McPherson. In addition to soil conservation the enrollees at Camp Lacretia built furniture which was used in other CCC camps including FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, Georgia.
The camp relocated to Macon in late 1940 or early 1941 removing all the buildings. The stone foundations and some of the camp features remain.
http://www.ccclegacy.org/CCC_Camps_Georgia.html Blevins, Ernest E., "Preservation Assessment and Plan, Mitchell-Williams Farm, Villa Rica, Georgia," University of West Georgia Internship, 2003 "Williams Family Farm," National Register Nomination #05000193
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on April 12, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE