Camp Colorado Replica Administration Building
Camp Colorado was a United States Army outpost in Coleman County, Texas. From 1857 to 1861 Camp Colorado was the center of Coleman County’s settlements. The camp’s buildings were made of adobe with shingled roofs and pine floors. U.S. troops abandoned the fort during the Civil War and did not re-garrison it after the war was over. The land was sold and the new owner dismantled the buildings.
Citizens of the City of Coleman and Coleman County desired to participate in the Texas Centennial in 1936. The idea was proposed to erect a replica of the administration building of old Camp Colorado in the City Park. The City Commissioners approved the proposal and proceeded with plans. Through the efforts of State Senator Walter Woodward of Coleman, a grant of $3600 was obtained from the Texas Centennial Commission and with these funds, and labor provided by the Works Projects Administration (WPA), the replica was erected. Many items of historical interest were displayed in the replica for the Centennial.
The building has been used for meetings, family gatherings and the site of the Coleman County Museum.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Beatrice Grady Gay, "CAMP COLORADO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc08), accessed April 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
The Camp Colorado Replica
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 23, 2015.