Located in the small town of California, Pennsylvania, “Cal U” is a public university that was founded in 1852. The main campus consists of 38 buildings situated on 92 acres of land. Then known as the State Teachers College, California University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $188,000 grant for the project, whose final cost was $540,686. Construction occurred between February and December 1938. (PWA Docket No. [W]1844.)
A physical education and industrial arts building were constructed on the campus. The present status of these structures is unknown to Living New Deal.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36. "Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=578234 Additional information submitted by Shayne Finley in October 2015.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE