The Calhoun school was constructed 1939 as project x1289. A PWA grant of $13,622 was approved 9/13/1938. Construction began 12/16/1938 and was completed 7/13/1939 at a cost of $28,909. Architects were Landry & Matthes. The school was demolished in 2007.
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. (January 3, 1940).
Region No. 3 Mississippi. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 106.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory database. Retrieved Oct.5, 2019 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Any&County=Jones
PWA Aided in construction of 228 school buildings in state; Complete list given
Clarion-Ledger, Sep 25, 1939.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on October 5, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE