Caldwell Parish Courthouse, Columbia, LA
This parish courthouse was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The two story jail courthouse, “…modern structure to be constructed of concrete, brick, and hollow tile, with stone trimmings” (1937, p. 10) was completed in 1937.
Leighninger, R. (February 1, 2011). Public Works Administration Architecture. In David Johnson (Ed.) KnowLA Encyclopedia of Louisiana. Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, 2010. Retrieved from https://knowla.org/entry/495/ Leighninger, R. D. (2007). Building Louisiana: The Legacy of the Public Works Administration. The University Press of Mississippi. "New building contract let: Caldwell Parish courthouse to be erected by Tennessee firm. (April 16, 1937). Monroe News Star, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE