Cal Fire Station #12Cal Fire Station #12
In 1937, the California Department of Natural Resources sponsored the Works Progress Administration to “Construct warehouse, garage, barracks, and residence; install refrigeration plant, water mains, and sewer facilities; landscape and improve grounds; and perform other appurtenant and incidental work, at [Bishop and Johnson Streets, crossed out] and [on property leased by the sponsor from the California Polytechnic Institute, hand written on the margin] in the City of San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County. All work under this project is in connection with the construction and development of buildings and facilities to be used solely in the prosecution of the normal functions of the State Forestry Division, Department of Natural Resources. In addition to projects specifically approved. State owned property.”
WPA Proj. No. 465-03-2-101, August 18, 1937, Total sponsor and Federal funds $40,303, Months to complete 45, average employed 49
Both the California Department of Forestry and San Luis Obispo Fire Department share this facility.
Researcher notes: It appears that the original location of this structure was intended to be next to the county hospital. A year later, on on August 18, 1938, a decision was made to build at the current location according to a hand written note. In discussion with an employee at the fire station, most of the buildings are of rather recent construction, and there are only a few older buildings that are in very poor shape. There are no plaques or markers from what she recalled.
WPA job card, Fresno Public Library
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on February 4, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE