Bridge at Sunken Garden
“The City of Roswell acquired the Haynes property in the 1930s and turned it into a municipal park. It was named Cahoon Park in 1936 after pioneer banker E.A. Cahoon. Now, the North Spring River is an intermittent waterway about 5 miles in length coursing through Roswells western suburbs with its banks largely lined with masonry wall or riprap.
Numerous improvements to the park were undertaken as Works Progress Administration [WPA] projects in the 1930s. One notable improvement along the river was construction of the masonry channel lining or riprap. Riprap lining was first added to the rivers channel through Cahoon Park.”
-Historic North Spring River
"Historic North Spring River, Roswell, New Mexico," Historical Foundation for Southeast New Mexico.
"New Deal Sites in New Mexico," Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, New Mexico Humanities Council.