Slagheap Village Under ConstructionRothstein, Arthur. "Slagheap Village," Trussville AL, Feb. 1937, Photographic Print. Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives, Library of Congress.
Originally known as Slagheap, “Cahaba Homestead Village (usually Cahaba Village, listed as the Cahaba Homestead Village Historic District), is a planned residential development located on the banks of the Cahaba River north of downtown Trussville (map). It was constructed between 1936 and 1938 by the Resettlement Administration on the site of the original Trussville Furnace. Originally called “Slagheap Village” because of the large slag piles covering the site, Cahaba Village became a distinct and active community during World War II. It was incorporated, along with “Old Trussville” into the City of Trussville in 1947.” (wikipedia)
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE