Cabin Lake Guard Station, 1935.US Forest Service Database #340747.
Forty miles southeast of Bend, Oregon, the Cabin Lake Guard Station served as a district ranger station and headquarters for the Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest from 1921 through 1945. Members of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, located adjacent to the ranger station from 1934 to 1938, contributed to the area’s development for recreational use as well as improved its function for the Forest Service.
The CCC camp members built seven buildings for the ranger station, including the existing guard station building. Six of these structures (ranger residences, a warehouse, maintenance shop, and a gas station) remain today. The seventh was moved to another guard station when the Cabin Lake Guard Station was closed. The rustic structures, wood-frame buildings with concrete foundation, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Forest Service has discussed opening the former ranger residences for recreational rental use. The campground adjacent to the buildings is open.
Cabin Lake Guard Station website. https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3M25 US Forest Service Database. Photograph - #340747
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 3, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE