Burton High School WPA Plaque
The state historical marker at the site reads: “Burton Public Schools opened in 1874, and by 1926 nine grades were offered. In 1938, construction on Burton’s first high school began. Funded through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), the building was completed in 1940. Designed by architect Travis Broesche and built by local contractor Will Weeren, the school exhibits international and rustic architectural style. Features include abutting two-story rectangular blocks, a curved wall near the entrance, and a native field stone veneer.”
Texas Historic Sites Atlas http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Details/5507017597 Plaque on building
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 14, 2017.