In 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a new roadway at Burns Street between East Capitol and Blaine streets in the district’s northeast quadrant.
This project was part of a massive New Deal program of street paving and upgrades around the city of Washington DC. Most such work is invisible today beneath subsequent repavings.
“WPA works on 122 miles of D.C. streets,” Washington Post, April 1, 1940, p. 15
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 10, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE