Burnet County CourthouseThe granite used on the courthouse is from the same quarry as the granite used on the Texas State Capitol.
In 1935 the Burnet County Commissioners’ Court requested a grant from the Public Works Administration for the construction of a new courthouse. On November 18th of that year, the PWA made available a loan of $74,000 and a grant of $61,000 for the project. An election for bonds to cover the loan was called and passed. The Commissioners then accepted the grant. Construction began February 10, 1936, and finished on August 1, 1937. The courthouse was built of the same type of granite that was used in the construction of the Texas State Capitol in Austin.
Texas Historic Sites Atlas http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/viewform.asp?atlas_num=2000001384&site_name=Burnet+County+Courthouse&class=2002
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 2, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE