The English Revival Style, red-brick, one-story school building was constructed in the town’s existing school complex by the WPA in 1939. The large front wing and the smaller rear wing are connected by a large auditorium that intersects both wings in the center. The building contained two arched entries, and the interior was almost entirely original, with wood floors, trim and doors that remain, and in some classrooms, the original desks remained when the school closed in 2001. The library retained the original built-in shelves. It had served as an elementary school at the time of closure.
Burdette School Complex/Historic District. Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Retrieved from http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/_search_nomination_popup.aspx?id=1959 Hale, R. (July 31, 2001). National Register of Historic Places nomination form, edited by Zac Cothen. National Park Service: The Department of Interior.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 24, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE