“Buffalo River SP Storm Shelter, 2012”
In 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) pursued a variety of improvements at Buffalo River State Park, which had been established in 1937.
“Buffalo River State Park near Glyndon is included in a $900,000 improvement project to be launched by the conservation department of the State of Minnesota during the next few months,” a reporter for Parks & Recreation noted in January 1940. The WPA allocated labor and $84,000 for the project.
According to the Minnesota Historical Society, “The Buffalo River State Park WPA/Rustic style historic resources include three buildings and three structures that form a historic district;” these are a Bath House, Garage & Residence, Restroom/Comfort Station, Stone Curb, Diversion Dam and a Swimming Beach. They were all, presumably, built by the WPA.
Buffalo River State Park was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
“Minnesota Improves State Parks,” Parks & Recreation, January 1940.
“Buffalo River State Park,” Minnesota Historical Society. https://www.mnhs.org/places/nationalregister/stateparks/Buffalo.php
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 5, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE