The Buffalo Point Campground is the largest NPS campground on the Buffalo National River. It was originally an Arkansas State Park before being assumed by the National Park Service. The historically significant park and cabins were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) before WWII. Cabins are perched on a tall bluff top with magnificent views of the lower Buffalo River. There is a Ranger Station, hiking trails including the famous Indian Rockhouse, and many interpretive programs. Buffalo Point is a very popular facility, reservations are recommended.
The Civilian Conservation Corps in Arkansas, 1933-1942 By Sandra Taylor Smith http://buffaloriveronline.com/camping_top_IV.html
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 11, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE