Bufano Park play area with swing set, sprinkler, slide, and comfort station
A New York City Parks Department press release from August 26, 1939 describes the WPA’s role in developing what is now known as Bufano Park:
“The Department of Parks announces that the two acre playground bounded by Bradford, Edison, LaSalle and Waterbury Avenues, in the Borough of The Bronx, will be opened to the general public without ceremony on Saturday, August 26th…
This playground was planned by the Department of Parks and the work performed by the Work Projects Administration. Besides a completely equipped children’s playground with wading pool, it includes eight handball courts, a softball diamond and a large asphalt surfaced play area which can be used for roller skating, and when subfreezing temperatures permit during winter months, may be used for ice skating. There is also a comfort station and recreation building.
Bordering the entire area and separating the small children’s playground and the handball courts from the baseball area, are landscaped areas planted with shade trees. Permanent concrete benches have been included in the development to provide a resting place for those waiting for their turn to play, as well as for mothers and guardians of the small children.
This is the 296th new and reconstructed playground added to the park system since 1934.”
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 5, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE