Bryce Canyon National Park - South Campground
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laid out the first campground in Bryce Canyon National Park in 1934. Several campsites are leveled using tell-tale CCC stone-work. Water and sewer lines were laid. The original tables no longer exist but metal fireplaces appear original.
Also at the South Campground is the amphitheater, build by the CCC in 1934. Originally called the “lecture circle,” it has a simple wooden stage (which can be opened like a giant closet door) and rows of benches. The old wooden benches have been replaced by plastic ones.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on July 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE