Bryce Canyon National Park
Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south-central Utah.
The New Deal greatly improved Bryce Canyon National Park. Along with the National Park Service, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provide special funds, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked continuous in the park, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was also active.
The National Park Service recognizes the CCC’s contribution on its website for Bryce Canyon NP, but not the PWA or WPA:
“During the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps made many improvements to Bryce Canyon National Park. These included Campground development, under the rim fire trail, Fairyland Trail, boundary fences, parking areas, museum-overlook at Rainbow Point, erosion control and insect pest control.”
Park Rangers were helpful in pointing out some of the CCC work and provided us with a copy of a historic structures inventory made in the park during the 1990s. Specific sites are not marked as New Deal, however.
http://www.nps.gov/brca/historyculture/park_history.htm, accessed June 16, 2013.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 16, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE