The New Deal supported various improvements to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden during the Great Depression, among which was the Herb Garden:
“Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor was used to build the 1938 Herb Garden, a Caparn design taken from a 1577 Elizabethan knot garden.”
The herb garden is no longer extant.
Other New Deal-funded efforts, such as bronze busts of noted naturalists that reside in the Laboratory Building rotunda, also grace the Botanic Garden.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE