Bronx General Post Office
The historic Bronx General Post Office was built from 1935 to 1937. It was designed by consulting architect Thomas Harlan Ellett (1880-1951) for the Treasure Department’s Office of the Supervising Architect, Louis Simon. The building is constructed of smooth gray brick, features graceful arched window openings, and is surrounded at the base by a granite terrace.
The post office is fronted by two New Deal sculptures by Henry Kreis and Charles Rudy. Inside there is a large set of murals by Ben Shahn. The sculptures were landmarked by the city of New York in 1975 and the murals were landmarked in 2013.
In 2014 the post office was closed and sold to a private developer, Ying Woo and Associates, which is converting the site to “Bronx Post Place”, a mixed use development (as of 10/2016)