Breese Gymnasium was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939 on the campus of Western Carolina Teacher’s College, now Western Carolina University. It was named for William E. Breese, a trustee of the college who was influential in its construction. It was the first indoor basketball facility in the region, and also housed a swimming pool. In addition to sporting events, many dances were held there and in the 1950s it was listed as a nuclear fallout shelter. Today, it is used by physical education, musical theater and dance students. The formidable stone structure is just one of six buildings on the Western Carolina University campus built as part of the New Deal.
Western Carolina University, 125 http://www.wcu.edu/celebrate125/ Western Carolina University Historic Walking Tour pamphlet, Brochure content collected by: HIST 471/571, Fall 2013 http://www.wcu.edu/celebrate125/images/pdfs/HistoricWalkingTour_map.pdf
Project originally submitted by Sarah Downing on January 23, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE