Port Washington Pier Breakwater Light
This eventual WPA project was originally begun during the Hoover administration, in 1931. The current $625,000 pier took over 3 years to complete. Not part of the original appropriation, Congress approved the construction of a new pier head light in 1934, and it is likely this that was completed under the WPA.
Constructed in what is considered the “Art Deco” style at a cost of $35,000, the light features a huge concrete base to provide increased elevation. Also, the uniquely arched base of the structure provides mariners with an improved view of the surroundings, allowing for safer passage. The original black lantern room contained a Fourth Order Fresnel lens, which exhibited a red light which flashed every 7.7 seconds. At some point in time the lantern room and lens were removed and replaced with a modern solar-powered beacon and foghorn.
The south pier is the property of Wisconsin Electric Power Company, although the starboard light is maintained by the Coast Guard. This pier and the power plant was built simultaneously with the federal pier project, another boon for the citizens during the Depression.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 16, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE