Rock perimeter wall, Brackenridge Park
“A low limestone perimeter wall built in 1936–1937 separates Broadway and the adjacent sidewalk from the green space in front of the Witte and Pioneer Hall. The wall, which runs the length of the property, was built by Witte museum and WPA workers. Entry points through the wall connect to sidewalks leading to both the Witte and Pioneer Hall. A stone bench is built into the wall, presumably to provide seating for bus patrons. The wall culminates at Tuleta Drive on the south and on the north at the northeast corner of the park property. Curved wing walls and planting beds flank entrances at both the south and north ends of the wall.”
(Section 7 Page 9, National Register of Historic Places registration form for Brackenridge Park, June 2011)
The wall extends for two or three blocks along Broadway from the site of the former Reptile Farm (a NYA project) past Pioneer Hall (now the South Texas Heritage Center) past the Witte Museum and ends at Tuleta Drive (a NYA project).
There is no marker along the wall at this time.
This wall is referenced on the nomination form for Brackenridge Park to the National Register of Historic Places.
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on January 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE