Iron Truss Bridge, Brackenridge Park, San Antonio TX
Project type: Infrastructure and Utilities, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels
Completed: 1938View Project in a Separate Window
This lenticular truss bridge was moved to historic Brackenridge Park in 1925. It had been constructed in 1890 on St. Mary’s Street over the San Antonio River by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin Connecticut. After a devastating flood in 1921 the city under took a massive rebuilding of the city’s downtown infrastructure and the bridge was relocated to the park rather than being demolished. The plaque on the bridge indicates that the National Youth Administration did work in 1937-38, but it is not known if they worked on the bridge or on the adjacent retaining walls.
Bridge plaque. The National Register of Historic Places registration form for Brackenridge Park, dated June 1, 2011, provides details about the bridge in two places.
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on September 17, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The proposed demolition of areas in Brackenridge Park will alter the footprint of the park that has remained mostly unchanged since the 1950’s. A plan to demolition a roadway behind the old pumphouse, redesign of the park is with public opposition.